Today the world mourns the passing on of the greatest scientists of our time, Stephen Hawkins.
One of my best quotes of his is :
“My advice to other disabled people would be, concentrate on things your disability doesn’t prevent you doing well, and don’t regret the things it interferes with. Don’t be disabled in spirit, as well as physically.”
Absolutely brilliant that he was a fighter in spirit who refused to be beat down by the rare early-onset, slow-progressing form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) that gradually paralysed him over decades. He was diagnosed with the disease at the age of 21 and was given two years to live, however, Hawkings was resilient about life and passed on at the age of 76.
There are a lot of life lessons to learn from Hawkings and some include:
-The quality of life you live is dependent on you and not the circumstances around you.
-Perfection is overrated. Hawkings once said – However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at, It matters that you don’t just give up.
-In any course/path you opt for, ALWAYS put your best foot forward and never compromise on excellence.
While Hawkings legacy remains, the question now is, What do you want to be remembered for. What impact do you seek to make in the world around you.
Please see below some other quotes of Hawkings that will motivate you to strive for more regardless of what life throws your way.
- “Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”
- “One of the basic rules of the universe is that nothing is perfect. Perfection simply doesn’t exist…..Without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist”
- “So next time someone complains that you have made a mistake, tell him that may be a good thing. Because without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist”
- “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge.”
- “One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose, and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don’t throw it away.”
- “It is no good getting furious if you get stuck. What I do is keep thinking about the problem but work on something else. Sometimes it is years before I see the way forward. In the case of information loss and black holes, it was 29 years.”
Have a refreshing Wednesday.